1.5.10

NOLA

It's been about two weeks since my trip to New Orleans and I CANNOT believe it has taken me this long to post about the food. That is why I GO to New Orleans!

For my younger sister, Jenna's, 21st birthday, we decided to head to New Orleans for a weekend of shopping and eating. She's a bit of a picky eater so I was slightly worried about where and what we could eat and make the weekend most enjoyable for her. My friend, Shana, aptly suggested Emeril's restaurant, Nola. She said it was no-nonsense good food with a more casual atmosphere. Or, if she didn't say it like that, that's what she meant because that is the best description of the famous chef's place on St. Louis.

As we walked in, it was exactly the kind of hip New Orleans place I wanted to go -- exposed brick, bustling, renovated warehouse chic. There were four of us for dinner and we were ushered through the packed place to the second of three floors.

I will fail you here by telling you we ordered a bottle of Spanish red that I do not know the name of because I did not order it but it was super tasty. And it finished my friend's Roasted Garlic-Reggiano Parmesan Bisque with Basil Pesto off so delightfully. Mmmm cheese and wine!

My sister was impressed right off the bat with the jalapeno cornbread we were served and I thought it was pretty tasty as well as the onion roll that accompanied. She's not an onion fan -- one of her many picky characteristics.

Shana had the barbecue shrimp appetizer and I think this sealed Jenna's obvious approval of our restaurant choice I had to say the sauce was pretty divine -- not too much Worcestershire, just enough garlic. Her entree just solidified it. Jenna had the dish she always wants someone to fix for her -- Shrimp and Grits. The full description was “Shrimp & Grits” Sautéed Gulf Shrimp, Grilled Green Onions, Smoked Cheddar Grits, Apple Smoked Bacon, Crimini Mushrooms and Red Chili-Abita Butter Sauce, but minus the mushrooms for Jenna.

I had the Hickory-Roasted Duck with Whiskey-Caramel Glaze, Buttermilk Cornbread Pudding, Haricot Verts-Fire Roasted Corn Salad, Natural Jus and Candied Pecans. I've always heard so much about duck and have rarely had it so this was my chance. This is the only entree I can truly critique, having had such small bites of the others. I thought it was done well. I enjoyed the texture and roasted-ness of the duck. It was cooked well but it is a dark meat and I am partial to white meat, personally. The cornbread pudding was a little soggy, probably from the jus, but for this cornbread-dressing lover I could have stood all the jus on my meat and not my pudding. When taking a bite of all of the elements together, especially adding the candid pecan, it was, however, a pretty divine bite of food.

Our other diners had the mahi-mahi with risotto and the buttermilk fried chicken breast. And that fried chicken was not greasy it was just good with its country ham cream dressing.

Everyone was pleased but saved room for dessert.

This is where we did it right. We all ordered something different and then passed our places around for sampling. Cinnamon Pain Perdu with Sautéed Bananas, Drunken Monkey Ice Cream and Brown Sugar Bacon, Warm Ooey Gooey Cake with Layers of Moist Chocolate Cake, Marshmallows and Toasted Coconut served with Coffee Ice Cream, Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie with Sweet Potato Ice Cream and Caramel Drizzle and a peanut butter cheesecake (they don't have the description on the online menu, sorry).

I had the chocolate pecan pie and I think it was my favorite though I must admit the Ooey Gooey cake was good (though I don't like coconut) and was probably my second favorite. The most important thing is my sister LOVED her peanut butter cheesecake and thought it was THE BEST EVER!

21st birthday dinner = success!

3 comments:

  1. Well, after this review, I may have to give NOLA a second chance. We went there when we were in NO for our mini-honeymoon and neither of us were terribly impressed. The food was decent if I remember correctly, but it was SO LOUD in there and we felt like the waiter was just trying to turn the table as quickly as possible. I really want to try that Garlic Reggiano Parmesan bisque though--yum!

    Have you been to John Besh's Restaurant August in NO? That was the best food I have ever put in my mouth... Maybe you and M could go there for a romantic date some time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see where it would not be an ideal setting for a quiet, romantic dinner. I think the feel of the place with the noise was fun. And our waitress was not pushy and very good. Give it another try when you are up for a fun night.

    I have not been to John Besh's restaurant and I would LOVE to, love, love, love. I HAVE to go. But that was definitely not the place for my sister's birthday. She's far too picky. Oh, now I'm hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I kinda like this blog. I loved NOLA and i think we should go back. Btw... i'm still waiting on you to make shrimp and grits with the Sautéed Gulf Shrimp, Grilled Green Onions, Smoked Cheddar Grits, Apple Smoked Bacon, Crimini Mushrooms and Red Chili-Abita Butter Sauce, but minus the mushrooms! Yummy! And the peanut butter cheesecake was to die for! OMG! Definitely the best 21st birthday!

    ReplyDelete