2.8.10

Holy Guacamole Sunday meets Meatless Monday

My friend Janelle encouraged me to participate in Meatless Mondays a while back and I've never remembered to do it.

Last night I bought some avocados for a salad and decided to get extras for guacamole. Then, the wheels started turning and I decided to give Meatless Mondays a try.

I made my first guacamole Sunday, and after eating it for Meatless Monday, I would say it turned out fairly well.



Photo from whatscookingamerica.net


Here's what I did:
I halved and scooped out two avocados (watch out for those seeds! Mine popped out and rolled across the kitchen floor), cutting them up and mashing them. I added one diced, homegrown tomato and about 1/2 cup of a diced purple onion. I squeezed half a lime, added cumin and a little chili powder (Well, I didn't have any cayenne pepper!), diced some jalapenos (unfortunately not fresh) and put in some freshly minced garlic.

I let it sit overnight and made a wrap with some black beans and lettuce for lunch. It was pretty good, actually.

Unfortunately, the avocados did not have as much protein as I had hoped. But, they do contain 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, like folate, fiber, vitamin E and vitamin C.

I've never loved avocados or guacamole but I enjoyed this Meatless lunch and may have to do it again.

Please share your guacamole recipes with me. I'm always looking for new ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I started substituting avocados for mayo, on BLTs, etc because I never much liked mayo. So creamy, delicious and nutritious!

    ReplyDelete