9.6.10

Peanut butter and bacon burger ... you know you want to try it!

My friend Adam is going to be a guest blogger for this entry. When he said he had a hamburger with peanut butter AND bacon on it, I insisted he write for my blog. Here's to feeding your curiosity.

Last week I got three reminders of a culinary truth I should never forget: peanut butter is awesome.

The first two instances were obvious and simple: the stuff makes a great snack when mixed with an apple, and it's a great condiment for meat in Southeast Asian cuisine.

My surprise came in a French Quarter bar known for it's tequilla selection. Yo Mama's, on St. Peter's Street in New Orleans, also has got quite a list of burgers. Besides the common bleu cheese and chili varieties, they have ... wait for it ... a peanut butter and bacon burger.

Initially, I was intrigued and grossed out all at once. I didn't really want ground beef stuck in peanut butter on the roof of my mouth. But then again, my tastebuds have never had a bad experience with the stuff.

So I ordered mine cooked medium well, and out it came with shreeded bacon stirred into peanut butter. The half-pounder was massive, so I cut it in half.

Halfway through bite No. 1, I was sold. The peanut butter was smooth, and the bacon was soft. I don't know if it was whipped or heated a little, but it wasn't as thick as I feared. It definitely gave the patty a different flavor. I usually like mine with some ketchup or barbecue sauce - the stuff for meat. But this made it slightly more sweet, even dessert-like. Or maybe that was because it seemed like a novelty. The bun really got soggy. Not sure if that was grease from the meat or the peanut butter.

In the way of sides, the kitchen staff offers side salads and baked potatoes. I got a salad with bleu cheese dressing. It was average.

The burger itself was sort of like the place that sells it: at once funky and hip while altogether accessible and apparent. Yo Mama's is right across the road from Pat O'Brien's, one of Bourbon Street's most popular spots. But considering it's location it's a little hard to notice. But stepping off the street and into this place means you're sure to find something good to eat.

2 comments: